top of page

 

St Matthew's Chapelry

St Matthew's Chapelry and an outstation at Vergelegen form part of All Saints' Parish.

 

In the late 1890s services at Sir Lowry's Pass took place in a room at the station. The station master was a deacon in the church and his daughter provided music. The congregation started to save for a building and ground was purchased behind the police station.

 

The people carried stone, water and sand from the river for the foundations of the old green building which was made of wood and corrugated iron.

 

This building opened for worship on 13 November 1927. The building was dedicated to St Matthew because the little toll house at the foot of the pass reminded people of the tax collector!

bottom of page